Skip to content

Transfer an existing vehicle licence

To find out about the specification for a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle, and about our standard licence conditions, please see our Joint Taxi Licensing Policy.

If you buy a vehicle that is already licensed as a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle then you can apply to have the vehicle’s licence transferred into your name. You should do this before you use it as a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle.

How to transfer a vehicle licence

To apply, please download and complete a vehicle licence transfer application form. Please read the notes and guidance carefully before you complete the form.

Please also see our covid-19 taxi advice page which explains our current service provision and target timescales for processing.

What do I need to submit with my application?

When you submit your application you need to include the following:

  • your completed application form – which must be signed by both the applicant and the previous licence holder
  • V5C vehicle registration document. If you don’t have the V5C (for example if you’ve just bought the vehicle) then you should produce the new keeper’s slip and the receipt/bill of sale. If the V5C is in the name of another person or a hire/leasing company, we will need a copy of the lease/hire agreement and written confirmation that they give approval for the vehicle to be licensed
  • current insurance certificate or cover note for at least third party cover and appropriate for the licence type (insurance for a hackney carriage MUST state that it is covered for the carriage of passengers for hire and reward, hackney carriage or public hire; insurance which states it only covers pre-booked journeys is for private hire vehicles only).
  • current certificate of compliance from one of the authorised garages – brand new registered vehicles with fewer than 1,500 miles on the odometer will not be required to have a full compliance certificate test but will require a check on the meter (if fitted) and the tariff card.
  • a basic Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) disclosure – this is only if you not hold a current driver licence issued by us. See guidance on the form for company and partnership applicants.
  • the application fee. For portal applications there is a drop down list from which you must select the correct fee. If you pay the wrong fee, the application will be rejected.

How to submit your application

Once you have all your documents ready, please submit your completed application through our online application portal.

If you are having trouble accessing our online portal please email your application to us using the details below. These applications will take longer to process as an officer will have to call you to take payment.

We recommend you do not apply by post.

What happens next?

We will review your application, and if we need any additional information or documentation, we will let you know. We may also carry out additional checks for relevant information held by other authorities. For details on how we use data relating to licence holders and applicants, please see our privacy notice for licence holders and applicants.

If everything is in order, we will issue a new licence and send this to you.

Contact us - Licensing

01235 422556
(Text phone users add 18001 before dialing)

South Oxfordshire District Council
135 Eastern Avenue
Milton Park
OX14 4SB