Skip to content

Appeal against your council tax

If we determine that you are liable to pay council tax, you can appeal our decision if:

  • you believe your home should be exempt from paying council tax – please see exempt properties
  • you don’t believe you are liable to pay council tax on a particular property (e.g. you are not the resident or owner)
  • you disagree with how your bill has been calculated (e.g. a discount has not been applied or no reduction for disabilities given)
  • you disagree about the amount of Council Tax Reduction allowed.

How to submit an appeal

To submit an appeal please email our Council Tax team using the details on this page and state your name and address, the reference number on your bill (if known) and explain what you object to and why. 

When we receive your email, we may need to ask you for further information.

While waiting for your appeal to be determined you must continue to pay your council tax. 

If we reject your appeal, if we act on your appeal but you are still not satisfied, or if you do not hear from us within two months, you can submit an appeal to the Valuation Tribunal – you must do this this within four months of submitting your original appeal to us.

If your appeal is successful you will then be entitled to a refund of any overpaid tax.

For further information about council tax liability see Who pays council tax.

For further information about council tax discounts, reliefs and exemptions see council tax discounts and exemptions.

Contact us - Council tax

0345 302 2313
(Text phone users add 18001 before dialing)

South Oxfordshire District Council
Po Box 872