Renting a property
The quickest way to secure accommodation is through the private sector, as not all applicants will be successful in obtaining social housing.
To look for a home go to:
- Local shop, supermarket and neighbourhood notice boards
- Local newspapers and classified adverts
- Ask family, friends or work colleagues
- Social media – Facebook, Twitter etc
- To check the Local Housing Allowance (Housing Benefit) rates go to: https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/search.aspx
- To check your bedroom entitlement go to http://www.southoxon.gov.uk/services-and-advice/council-tax-and-benefits/benefits/apply-benefit
Estate agents will charge fees for setting up the tenancy and are likely to carry out credit checks prior to agreeing a tenancy, so please ask to ensure these are affordable for you. They will also want a deposit (normally 6 weeks rent) and the first month’s rent in advance.
The council offer a deposit scheme, which may be able to assist you with a deposit and first month's rent through our White Horse Lettings Scheme. This is a loan scheme so for more information to see if you are eligible, please contact the housing team.
Last reviewed: 08 - 12 - 2015