Reporting fly-tipping (dumped rubbish)
If you witness fly-tipping or wish to report materials fly-tipped, please contact our waste team immediately:
or telephone 03000 610 610 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not remove anything from the fly-tip site. It is vital that all the evidence is left at the site for council officers to investigate. If any evidence is removed, it could damage any potential prosecution case taken by the council.
If you find a fly-tipping site, please provide the following information:
- its location
- type and quantity of waste dumped.
And if you witnessed a fly-tip in progress, please provide the following information:
- date and time of the event
- its location
- type and quantity of waste dumped
- description of the person(s) carrying out the fly-tipping
- vehicle description and registration
- any company details (i.e. name of the site of a company van or vehicle)
- any other information felt to be helpful for the council's investigation.
People found guilty of fly-tipping can face unlimited fines or a prison sentence.
Who's getting rid of your rubbish?
Did you know that if waste you have paid someone to dispose of is found fly-tipped, you could face an unlimited fine or a prison sentence. To protect yourself from a potential prosecution, it is vital that you use a registered waste carrier to dispose of your waste.
Therefore, you should:
- Check the individual or company is a registered waste carrier before employing them to dispose of your waste. Visit the Environment Agency's website to .
- Obtain a written receipt from the individual/company you have employed to dispose of your waste. This receipt should list a brief summary of what has been taken away and this should include their business details and their waste carriers licence number.
Last reviewed: 24 - 03 - 2015