Hackney Carriage licences
Taxi licences - hackney carriage vehicle licences
All hackney carriages that operate within the South Oxfordshire District must be licensed under the terms of the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 and the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976.
For information on taximeters and roof signs, please contact suppliers listed below. The Council does not recommend any supplier and others may be found through a standard internet search.
Tony Rodell of the Association of Taximeter Installers on 01753 570546.
How to apply for a licence
To apply for a licence, . Contact the Licensing Team to make an appointment and to be allocated a plate number and bring the completed application form to your appointment along with the following original documents:
- Vehicle registration document (V5)
- Current certificate of insurance or cover note for at least third party cover. (Must show appropriate Public Hire/Hackney Carriage or Private Hire cover).
- Current Certificate of Compliance issued within 28 days by a (certificate of compliance required from September 2013 in accordance with the new taxi policy adopted on 1 January 2013).
- Non-refundable - cheques should be made payable to South Oxfordshire District Council.
- Please find details of the and contact the Licensing Team if you require more information.
How to renew a licence
How to change your vehicle
If you wish to change your vehicle (upgrading or licensing a hire car following an accident for example), and bring it together with the appropriate documentation and to your appointment as set out above.
How to transfer a vehicle and licence to a new owner
A transfer is the sale of a licensed vehicle (including the paper licence and licence plate) from one person to another. Please complete the and make an appointment with a licensing team officer to carry out the transfer as all parties are required to sign in the presence of an officer.
Where damage that requires repair arises from an accident, the proprietor is required to report the accident to the relevant council. The council's primary concern is to ensure the vehicle is in a safe and suitable condition to be used as a licensed vehicle. Please make an appointment with the Licensing Team, bring the completed within three working days of the accident and bring the vehicle for inspection if requested.
Last reviewed: 24 - 06 - 2019