All taxi appointments, tests and training take place at 135 Eastern Avenue, Milton Park, Abingdon, OX14 4SB. Please ensure you arrive on time for your appointment as we will not be able to see you if you arrive late.
Please also share this information with anyone in your organisation that needs to know.
We licence both Hackney Carriage Vehicles and Private Hire Vehicles. Although the public can use both types of vehicle, there is a difference in the way they are operated and licensed. Please find details of the .
- can be hired on the street or at taxi ranks
- do not need to be pre-booked over the phone, although this is possible
- display a roof sign that contains the word 'Taxi'. Please see details of the here.
- have a square WHITE licence plate with the South Oxfordshire District Council logo on the rear bumper of the vehicle with the details of the vehicle
- public hire motor insurance is required before a licence is issued
Private Hire Vehicles (sometimes referred to as 'mini cabs')
- MUST be pre-booked through a licensed Private Hire Operator before they can be used
- are not permitted to have a roof sign
- display a BLACK rectangular licence plate with the South Oxfordshire District Council logo on the rear bumper with full details of the vehicle
- Private hire insurance motor insurance is required before a licence is issued
If someone feels that they have been incorrectly charged they should note down the driver and company name, which is on display in the taxi; along with the taxi licence number, which can be found on the licence plate at the back of the car. The licensing team will then investigate the situation further to find out if the correct fare has been charged.
Information for applicants
For information about the different types of licences, including details of how to apply for them, please see the following pages:
- Taxi driver licences
- Hackney carriage vehicle licences
- Private hire vehicle licences
- Private hire operator licences
- Taxi Licensing fees from 1 April 2014
- Frequently Asked Questions
For details about taxi ranks, please see the following page:
All application forms and guidance notes may also be found on the taxi licence forms page.
Last reviewed: 11 - 01 - 2018