Garden waste service terms and conditions
- The garden waste collection service (the “Service”) is for a 12-month period commencing on the date of your first payment. The Service will continue for further 12-month periods after the initial 12-month period unless you notify the council that you wish to cancel the Service at least five working days before the advised direct debit collection date.
- If the council misses a collection when your bin was presented correctly in accordance with clause 12, and you have reported this to Biffa, the council will endeavour to make the collection as soon as reasonably practicable. Missed collections must be reported by the end of the following working day after your scheduled collection day. The council will not issue refunds for missed collections.
- The annual fee for the Service will be by direct debit only, unless for exceptional reasons an alternative method of payment has been agreed in advance by the council.
- The council reserves the right to carry out an annual review of the Service fee from 1 April each year. You will be notified by invoice if any changes are made.
- The Service is registered to the property of the resident who purchases it. If you move to another property within South Oxfordshire (“the District”), you can have the Service transferred to the new property, provided you inform the council. When you have moved, you must contact the garden waste team to provide your new address and we will then transfer your service. If there is a bin already at the property, you can start using it straight away. If there is not a bin present, please let us know and we will arrange for one to be delivered to you within 10 working days.
- If you move out of the Districts, cancel or suspend your Service part way through the 12-month period you will not be eligible for a full or part refund of the fee. If you take the garden waste bin(s) with you, you may be charged for the bin(s).
- You are entitled to a minimum of 20 collections over the 12-month period on the same day as your recycling collection (unless the council advises otherwise).
- All garden waste must be contained within the bin(s) provided unless otherwise agreed by the council. Garden waste not contained in the bin(s) will not be collected. Contaminated or unsafe bin(s) will not be emptied.
- The council reserves the right to vary these terms and conditions and will advertise changes on the council website and on your annual renewal invoice.
- The bin(s) will remain the property of the council at all times and must only be used for garden waste.
- The bin(s) must not be defaced, damaged or inscribed in any way. Damaged or stolen bin(s) must be reported immediately and a one-off charge may be incurred for the replacement.
- Bin(s) must be out for collection on the inside edge of your property’s boundary or at an agreed collection point for emptying by 6am on collection day. This should be at the point nearest to the road or pavement and no more than one metre away from the boundary edge. The bin(s) must be accessible and clearly visible.
- The council reserves the right to change the collection day, and will notify you in advance through the press, the council’s website, Twitter, and other council publications.
- The council will suspend collections for two weeks over the Christmas and New Year period. Confirmation of collection days and dates affected over the Christmas period will be available from the council’s website and other council publications.
- The council reserves the right to suspend collections in exceptional circumstances, including adverse weather conditions.
- Properties with restricted access may not be suitable to receive the service. The council will assess the property, and if it is not suitable the council will advise of the other options available.
- If you leave the service at any time, you will not be able to re-join within six months of your leaving date unless agreed by the council.
- The council accepts no liability for injury due to the use of the bin(s).
- The council will use your personal data for the purpose of managing your garden waste subscription only. It will be passed to our contractor Biffa so that they can arrange delivery of your bin and your collections. For full details of how the council manages personal data please see our full privacy statement on this website.
If you should have any queries, please contact Customer Services on 01235 422600 or email email@example.com. To report a missed collection please contact Biffa on 03000 610 610 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternative formats of this publication are available on request. These include large print, Braille and alternative languages. Please contact us on 01235 422600
Terms and conditions updated: May 2021