Skip to content

Zoo licences

If you want to run a zoo or exhibit wild animals (other than a pet shop or circus), which the public can access for more than seven days a year, you will need to apply for a licence.

Please read the details about zoo legislation and guidance on how to operate a zoo here.

There are conditions attached to the licence that you will need to achieve. The conditions aim to protect the welfare of the animals and maintain standards in the management of your zoo, as well as ensure public safety.

To apply for a licence, please complete the application form.

You will need to advertise your intention to apply for a licence in both a local and national newspaper and exhibit a copy of a notice at the proposed application site. You can find full details on the Defra website

For a list of all our licence charges, please see our application fees page.

Contact us - Environmental Protection

01235 422403
(Text phone users add 18001 before dialing)

South Oxfordshire District Council
Environmental Protection Team
Abbey House
Abbey Close
OX14 3JE