Information for candidates, agents and parish clerks – Local Elections 2023
Election notices are available to view on our Local Elections 2023 page and we will also forward them to parish clerks to publish locally.
Guide to standing as a parish councillor
For information about standing as a parish councillor, please visit the Electoral Commission’s page on Parish Council Elections.
You can also view an example of a completed parish nomination pack.
Defined as certain expenses ‘used for the purposes of the candidate’s election’ during the regulated period. This is the responsibility of the election agent.
- For district elections – returns are due 35 calendar days after result of election (9 June 2023)
- For parish elections – returns are due 28 calendar days after result (2 June 2023)
- The Limit on expenses:
- £806 + 7 pence per elector in ward on register in force on 1 March register
- reduced for joint candidates
- You MUST get and keep receipts (over £20) (£10 for parish)
- Candidates’ spending returns can be inspected by the public on request
- A sample of returns may be reviewed by the Electoral Commission
- Failure to submit a spending return is a criminal offence enforceable by police
- No spending will be reimbursed
- You MUST submit a return even if it is NIL
- Parish candidates should submit even if elected uncontested
Candidates’ spending is regulated by the Electoral Commission and is laid out in the Candidates and Agents Guidance
Candidates’ spending limits by area
Spending returns – advice surgeries for candidates and agents
The Electoral Commission is hosting virtual advice surgeries for candidates and agents to ensure you have guidance and practical support needed with spending returns.
You can book a 15-minute appointment with an expert advisor to discuss specific issues relating to the spending and donation laws, and to ask any queries you might have.
Virtual appointments take place via Microsoft Teams and are available on first come, first served basis on the following dates:
- Tuesday 23 May
- Wednesday 24 May
- Thursday 25 May
Keep up to date
If you would like to be added to our candidates and agents’ distribution list, please email email@example.com