Emerging Local Plan 2011-2033
South Oxfordshire District Council is developing a new Local Plan that, once approved, will shape the future of our district. We are committed to involving our communities in preparing the new plan.
The emerging Local Plan and its supporting studies set out our vision for South Oxfordshire up to the year 2033. Together they identify where housing, retail and employment land should be located as well as the infrastructure required to support this growth, such as new roads, schools, health services and sewerage. The proposed policies in the plan will be used to help make decisions on planning applications in the district.
Your final chance to comment
Before we do, we have launched a publicity period between 11 October and 5pm on 30 November 2017. Please note that this is an extension to the previously advertised end date of 22 November - see further information below.
This is your final opportunity to comment and you MUST respond if you wish to be involved in the examination, even if you responded to a previous consultation on the Local Plan.
The publicity period is different from the previous four consultations, as the Planning Inspectorate dictates the specific questions we have to ask relating to the legality of the plan. We have prepared a and this short video to help explain the consultation process in more detail:
Attend a drop-in
We are hosting a series of drop-in events across the district to help explain the publicity process and how to submit your comments. The drop-ins will all provide the same information, so please feel free to attend any event. The display boards for the drop-in events can be viewed .
- Wallingford, St Marys Church - Sat 14 October, 10am – 2pm
- Culham, Primary School - Thurs 19 October, 4pm – 8pm
- Henley, Town Hall - Council Chamber - Sat 21 October, 10am – 2pm
- Chalgrove (1), Village Hall, Monday 23 October, 4pm – 8pm
- Didcot, Cornerstone - Tues 31 October, 3pm – 7pm
- Berinsfield, Church Hall - Tues 7 November, 3pm – 7pm
- Wheatley, The Merry Bells Village Hall - Thurs 9 November, 3pm – 7pm
- Thame, Town Hall - Mon 13 November, 3pm – 7pm
- Chalgrove (2), Village Hall - Fri 17 November, 3pm – 7pm
Viewing the documents
The plan and supporting documents can be viewed below:
Evidence studies can be viewed here.
Please note the consultation period for the publication Local Plan has been extended until 30 November 2017 to provide people with the opportunity to consider the Local Plan policies map and the Strategic Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment (SHELAA).
The Local Plan policies map shows the locations of housing and employment allocations and other location specific policies within the plan, including changes to the boundary of the Oxford Green Belt. These were included in appendices 2-5 and appendix 13 in the version of the Local Plan that was published on 11 October 2017 but has now been published as a stand-alone document.
The SHELAA provides a technical assessment of the suitability, availability and achievability of land for development. It is an update to the Housing and Employment Land Availability Assessment (HELAA), which was published in March 2017. The SHELAA is available to view .
You can also view a series of topic papers, which set out the processes undertaken and evidence considered to inform the sites and policies in our Local Plan. You may find it helpful to review these papers when considering your response:
Hard copies are available at the following locations during their usual opening hours:
- our council office at 135 Eastern Avenue, Milton Park, Abingdon, OX14 4SB
- public libraries in Benson, Berinsfield, Chinnor, Didcot, Goring, Henley, Sonning Common, Thame, Wallingford, Watlington, Wheatley and Woodcote
- Abbey House Abingdon, Abbey Sports Centre Berinsfield, Chalgrove Post Office, Clifton Hampden Post Office, Cornerstone Didcot, Culham Science Centre, Didcot Wave Leisure Centre and Oxford City Council, St Aldate’s offices.
- 32 High Street, Culham. Please contact Gordon Gibbs on 01235 523679 to arrange to view.
Copies of the Local Plan can also be purchased for £60.00 including postage, or £55.00 if collected from the council office. Please contact our Customer Service Team on: 01235 422600
You can provide your comments between 11 October and 5pm on 30 November 2017 in the following ways:
- complete our (registration is required)
- download a and email it to email@example.com
- collect a comment form from one of the locations listed above and post it to Planning Policy, SODC, 135 Eastern Avenue, Milton Park, Abingdon OX14 4SB, or
- attend one of our drop-in events
Please be aware that, due to the process of having an Independent Examination, a name and means of contact is required for your representation to be considered. Respondent details and representations will be forwarded to the Inspector carrying out the examination of the Local Plan after the Publicity Period has ended. This data will be managed by a Programme Officer who acts as the point of contact between the council and the Inspector and respondents and the Inspector.
Representations cannot be treated as confidential and will be published on our website alongside your name. If you are responding as an individual rather than a company or organisation, we will not publish your contact details (email / postal address and telephone numbers) or signatures online, however the original representations are available for public viewing at our council office by prior appointment. All representations and related documents will be held by South Oxfordshire District Council for a period of 6 months after the Local Plan is adopted.
What happens next?
After the publicity period, we will submit the plan to the Secretary of State, who will appoint a Planning Inspector to carry out an Independent Examination. The inspector will then examine the plan, the evidence supporting it and the comments received and make a decision on whether the plan is “sound” and “legally compliant”.
Last reviewed: 17 - 11 - 2017