Town and parish council planning
This section is specifically designed to help Town and Parish Councils with issues regarding planning.
We hope that this page will give you information to help you in your role as Councillor and answer some of the most frequently asked questions that you raise with us.
See our News Page for the latest information. This includes any new fees or regulations for both Planning and Building Control.
We wrote to all town and parish councils in April 2011 outlining some changes in our service, encouraging online communication and forthcoming training.
Also see the downloads on the right for the presentations from our November 2009 training session.
The South Oxfordshire Partnership (SOP) has produced a guide to tell you about the help and support available for community led plans in Oxfordshire. See our community-led planning page or visit the new community-led planning website for more information.
The Planning Advisory Service (PAS) have now published a draft guide for ward councillors on neighbourhood planning. This guide is to help you understand the basics of neighbourhood planning and to help you think about what this means for your community and your role as a councillor.
In addition, the Department for Communities and Local Government has produced some information on Neighbourhood planning, which can be found by clicking the link below.
- Application Details. If you would like information on a particular planning application, just type the reference number in the search box at the top right-hand corner of any page on our website and it will take you to the relevant page. Alternatively, visit the Planning Register section where you can search by planning reference number, location or date.
- Planning Committee. For information regarding committee dates/agendas please see our Planning Committee details page.
- Material Considerations. We are often asked, 'What is a material planning consideration?' Please see the download on the right which should answer this question for you.
- Use Classes. If you would like to know what a B1 or C3 use is for example, you can find all the definitions on the Use Classes Order.
- Application suffixes. A lot of our planning application reference numbers have a suffix on the end. See the download on the right to find out what they all mean.
- New Scheme of Delegation. We recently wrote to all Town and Parish Councils regarding our new scheme of delegation. For your reference, you can download the flow diagram we enclosed with that letter from the list on the right.
- Email alerts. If you would like us to notify you of planning applications in your local area, please sign up to our email alert system. Currently this is based on a postcode search, but we are hoping to expand this soon.
In October 2008 the Government introduced measures to reduce the need for planning applications for householder development. See our page on Permitted Development Rights for Householders for more information.
We have three interactive maps on our website which are very useful sources of information. One gives the details of any planning applications on a particular property, the second gives information on any relevant planning policies and the third gives details of conservation areas and listed buildings within the district. Use these links to find the maps:
For more information on planning applications, please see our Frequently Asked Questions.
Is there anything missing here? Let us know
If you have any suggestions of what you would like included please email email@example.com
Last reviewed: 12 - 02 - 2013