Grants to adapt your home for a disability

Disabled Facilities Grant

If you need to make adaptations to help a disabled person live in your home without difficulties, you can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant.  A grant of up to £30,000 is available to pay for specific changes to a home that have been recommended as being essential and necessary by an Occupational Therapist from the Adult Social Care Team. 

How do I apply?

The first step is to contact an Occupational Therapist to see if you’re eligible to apply. They are based within the Oxfordshire County Council’s Adult Social Care Team.  You can call them on 0345 050 7666 or email

  • a means test will be carried out to assess whether applicants will need to contribute towards the cost of the works (anyone claiming certain benefits will not be asked to make a contribution towards the cost of the works)
  • these grants are limited to only fund the adaptations required to meet the need of the property occupier.  Any additional works desired, have to be funded by the property owner.
  • if you find you are not eligible for a grant, please get in touch to discuss your options.
  • please note that you if you are considering applying for a grant for adaptation works, you should do this before you start any work. Grants cannot be awarded retrospectively.

Last reviewed: 11 - 01 - 2019

Was this page helpful?YesNo