Benefit advice

Housing benefit

If you are struggling to pay your rent you could get Housing Benefit to help if you’re on a low income.

Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances.

You can apply for Housing Benefit whether you’re unemployed or working.

To apply for Housing Benefit please go to:

To find out how many bedrooms you’re entitled to go to:

The local housing allowance (LHA) determines how much you may get. To find out the local housing allowance (LHA) levels for your area please go to:

The council's Housing Benefit Teams can be contacted on 0345 302 2313

Discretionary housing benefit

Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) is a short-term award to help tenants who cannot afford their rent.

Payments are made alongside Housing Benefit / Universal Credit when, through no fault of the tenant, the rent becomes unaffordable.

For more information please contact the Housing Advice Team 01235 422422

DWP benefits

If you are out of work or unable to work because you are ill or disabled, you may be entitled to financial help from the DWP. To make a claim, visit your local JobcentrePlus or phone 0800 055 6688.

To help you work out what benefits you may be entitled to, visit the benefits calculator on This link will take you to an external website...

Last reviewed: 24 - 05 - 2016

Was this page helpful?YesNo