Noise and nusance

Report a problem - noise and nuisance

Information and advice on noise and nuisance investigations

If you wish to make a formal request for service to the council about a noise, nuisance or pollution issue, we will need the following information:

  • your address and contact details (email and telephone number)
  • the address of where the problem is allegedly coming from
  • the nature of the problem in as much detail as possible (i.e. times the problems occur, etc.)
  • a brief description of how the problem is affecting you (i.e. cannot sleep)
  • any additional information you feel is relevant to the case.

Before making a request for service, we recommend reading our notes on how we investigate nuisance complaints.  You can download and read them by clicking here. (49.6 KB) PDF  In order for us to investigate your case, we usually require the person making the complaint to fill out diary sheets initially for a couple of weeks.  If you do not return the completed diary sheets to the council within the specified timescales, the complaint will be closed.  Note also that making a formal complaint could result in you having to attend court to give evidence.

What happens next?

The Environmental Protection Team aims to acknowledge receipt of requests for service, advising of our procedures for dealing them within 3 working days.  For urgent situations (such as audible alarms or dark smoke from a bonfire, etc) we aim to make contact with customers as soon as possible and within 24 hours. All council staff carry photo ID and are happy to be asked for it and to explain the reason for their visit.

You can make a formal request for service by:

If your service request is urgent and outside our normal office hours, please click here to see how you can report out of hours. 

    Last reviewed: 27 - 09 - 2019

    Was this page helpful?YesNo