Changing your vehicle
To find out about the specification for a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle, and about our standard licence conditions, please see our Joint Taxi Licensing Policy.
If you need to replace your licensed vehicle, either permanently or temporarily, you can apply to change the vehicle to which your licence relates. You must wait to receive the new licence and plate before you use the vehicle as a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle.
If this is a temporary change due to having an accident, remember you must report the accident to us in accordance with the conditions of your licence. In addition, please bear in mind that when you want to change your vehicle back again, you will need to make a further application as below, including a new compliance test.
How to apply for a change of vehicle
To apply, please download and complete a change of vehicle application form. Please read the notes and guidance carefully before you complete the form.
Please also see our covid-19 taxi advice page which explains our current service provision and target timescales for processing.
What do I need to submit with my application?
When you submit your application you need to include the following:
- your completed application form
- V5C vehicle registration document. If you don’t have the V5C (for example if you’ve just bought the vehicle) then you should produce the new keeper’s slip and the receipt/bill of sale. If the V5C is in the name of another person or a hire/leasing company, we will need a copy of the lease/hire agreement and written confirmation that they give approval for the vehicle to be licensed
- current insurance certificate or cover note for at least third party cover and appropriate for the licence type (insurance for a hackney carriage MUST state that it is covered for the carriage of passengers for hire and reward, hackney carriage or public hire; insurance which states it only covers pre-booked journeys is for private hire vehicles only).
- current certificate of compliance from one of the authorised garages – brand new registered vehicles with fewer than 1,500 miles on the odometer will not be required to have a full compliance certificate test but will require a check on the meter (if fitted) and the tariff card.
- the application fee. For portal applications there is a drop down list from which you must select the correct fee. If you pay the wrong fee, the application will be rejected.
- the current plate for the vehicle being replaced. This must be returned to us by post or dropped off at the office postbox. We cannot process the application until the plate from the currently licensed vehicle is returned. If this is not possible, please confirm the reason in writing – see section 5 of the form.
How to submit your application
Once you have all your documents ready, please submit your completed application through our online application portal.
If you are having trouble accessing our online portal please email your application to us using the details below. These applications will take longer to process as an officer will have to call you to take payment.
We recommend you do not apply by post.
What happens next?
We will review your application, and if we need any additional information or documentation, we will let you know. We may also carry out additional checks for relevant information held by other authorities. For details on how we use data relating to licence holders and applicants, please see our privacy notice for licence holders and applicants.
If everything is in order, we will issue a new licence and plate and send this to you.