Apply for, vary or transfer a gambling premises licence
You will need a gambling premises licence if you want to run any of the following types of gambling business:
- adult gaming centre
- family entertainment centre
- track and other betting premises
For gaming permits and gaming machines at licensed premises and clubs, please see our page on gaming permits and gaming machines.
For details on how we use data relating to licence holders and applicants, please see our privacy notice for licence holders and applicants.
How to make an application
To apply for a gambling premises licence, you must be:
- 18 years old or over
- authorised to make a gambling application for the premises
Before you apply for a premises licence, please read our Statement of Gambling Principles and review the information on operating licences from the Gambling Commission. You should also review our Local Area Profile and take note of the mandatory and default conditions that would be attached to any licence granted.
Depending on what you want to do, you will need to complete one of the following:
- an application for a gambling premises licence
- an application to vary a gambling premises licence
- an application to transfer a gambling premises licence
- an application for a provisional statement
- an application for the reinstatement of a premises licence
There are other application forms available on request for vessels.
When completing the form, you may wish to consider using conditions from our pool of model conditions.
Once completed, send your form to us at the below address with:
- a plan of the premises
- the fee – see our gambling premises licence fees
- a completed risk assessment for your premises based on the nature of your business and the Local Area Profile – applications for new licences, provisional statements and variations only
Important – on the day you submit your documents you must also:
- complete a notice of the application for responsible authorities using one of the following templates and email a copy to each of the responsible authorities
- Notice of application for premises licence – single applicant
- Notice of application for premises licence – multiple applicants
- Notice of application for a provisional statement – single applicant
- Notice of application for a provisional statement – multiple applicants
- Notice of application to vary a premises licence – single applicant
- Notice of application to vary a premises licence – multiple applicants
- Notice of application to transfer a premises licence – single applicant
- Notice of application to transfer a premises licence – multiple applicants
- Notice of application to reinstate a premises licence – single applicant
- Notice of application to reinstate a premises licence – multiple applicants
- advertise your application on the premises – please complete the notice of application to be published using one of the following templates, then display it in A4 size in a prominent location for no less than 28 days from the date of application
- arrange for the same notice to be published in a locally circulated newspaper – this must appear within ten working days of the date of application.
What happens next
People will have 28 days to comment on your application. If we don’t receive any comments, we will grant your licence.
If we do receive comments, our Licensing Panel will need to look at your application within 20 working days. The Licensing Panel will either grant your licence, grant it with some extra conditions, or refuse it.
Contact us - Licensing
(Text phone users add 18001 before dialing)
South Oxfordshire District Council