Important information -
Due to the recent fire at our Crowmarsh offices the car parks team currently have a large back log of enquiries which they are endeavouring to deal with as quickly as possible.
- If you emailed in disputing an ECN issued on or since Thursday 15 January please be advised that they require the following information: your ECN reference number, your registration number, your FULL postal address and any mitigating evidence – copy of pay and display ticket, both sides of your disabled badge, copy of your RingGo receipt etc. If you have not already supplied them on your email, please do so.
- Providing you had sent your dispute in within the reduced payment period, your case will go on hold and not increase to the higher amount, pending your outcome. When the car parks team are in a position to start responding, if you are unsuccessful in your dispute, you will be given an additional 10 working days from the date of our reply to pay the reduced amount. If you have disputed via email please keep checking your in box, also please check that our reply it hasn’t gone into your spam folder.
- The car parks team are now able to provide their usual permit service. If your permit is due for renewal, please either call a member of the car parks team, on 01235 547665, or send in your payment as usual and we will process your permit for you. Please allow at least 5 working days for this, particularly if you are applying/renewing by post.
- There is a post redirect for items of mail sent to the Crowmarsh offices. This is taking a few days longer than the standard postal service. If you wish to write to the car parks team, it would be quicker to address your post to the Abingdon office, where we are temporarily based: Car parks team, VOWH/SODC, Abbey House, Abingdon, Oxon, OX14 3JE
If your query is about anything else, the team will get a response to you as soon as possible. They thank you for your patience and understanding during these unusual circumstances.
Our car parks
The council manages 19 car parks in Didcot, Goring, Henley, Thame, Chinnor, Wheatley, Culham, Benson and Wallingford. There are a mixture of short/long stay, free and 'pay and display' car parks that are controlled by Parking Orders (see below).
Update, January 2015 - gas works by SGN from 2 February will impact access to Greys Road car park in Henley. Visit their website to find out more.
Car park fees and conditions
Car parking fees apply in the council pay and display car parks Monday to Saturday including bank holidays. Riverside car park in Wallingford is free on a Sunday. Download information on the latest car park and permit fees from the downloads menu on this page, or contact the car parks team.
You need to display a ticket to park for the free hour at car parks in Thame, Didcot, Goring, some car parks in Wallingford and the free two hours at Goldsmith’s Lane car park in Wallingford.
The other main conditions in the car parks are:
A maximum stay of four hours at the Church Road car park in Wheatley.
Riverside car park in Wallingford has:
- free parking on Sundays
- a new short-stay charge of 50p for up to one hour all summer (low and high season) and £1 for up to three hours in high season. The cost of parking up to 10 hours will remain the same at £2.30.
- a new free permit for leisure centre card holders.
You can also apply for a season ticket.
Pay a car park fine or make an appeal
Car park complaints
If you are dissatisfied with any aspect of our car park service, or would like to report an incident of vandalism or misuse in the car parks, use the online form below:
Car park pricing policy
The council reviews the fees and charges every year, according to the locally agreed Car Park Pricing Policy and information from usage surveys (to see how well the car parks are being used) and comments from users via satisfaction surveys.
Road Traffic Act
South Oxfordshire District Council operates the car parks in accordance with schedule 9 of the Road Traffic Act 1984.
The South Oxfordshire District Council (Off Street Parking Places) Order is the document that sets out the charges for the off-street car parks and the terms and conditions relating to their use. If we vary any charges during the period of the Order then we publish a notice to tell people about the changes. You can view the latest order and notice here.
Last reviewed: 09 - 02 - 2015