Housing for older people

As we get older many of us start to think about where we want to live and what we need to live in.

If you are already a housing association tenant and are thinking about downsizing to a smaller and more manageable home or are wondering whether you are eligible to apply for a property in a sheltered scheme please see Sheltered housing

If you require more specialised housing that offers more care and support, then you may wish to consider:

Sheltered Housing

Sheltered housing provides comfortable, convenient and secure accommodation, which is self contained.

You can still be independent, but have the companionship of other older people living nearby. A scheme manager is available to provide information and advice to their residents.

These properties are owned by our housing association partners and vacancies are advertised through the council’s Homechoice scheme.

To apply for these you must be registered onto the housing register and meet the age criteria of over 55 years old. If you are not accepted onto the register because you are an owner occupier or for other reasons then you need to consider other housing options available.

Please apply on www.southoxfordshirehomechoice.org.uk This link will take you to an external website...

Extra Care Housing

Extra Care Housing offers a unique combination of housing, care and various other support services all in one development. Its aim is to enable more people to live in their own homes for as long as possible. The housing is primarily for people over 55 but occasionally people under this age can be admitted by exception.

To be considered for such housing, applicants should be assessed as having a housing need, in line with the Council's housing allocations policy and be on the housing register. They should also qualify for domiciliary care needs as assessed through the County Council's needs assessment process.  Applicants who are owner occupiers will usually only be considered for shared ownership properties on Extra Care Schemes.

Applicants for Extra Care units are considered by a panel which is usually made up of representatives from the District Council, County Council and the landlord.

The schemes are situated across the South & Vale district in Thame, Goring, Abingdon and Southmoor.

To be considered applicants need to complete an Extra Care application form which is provided by the landlord and care provider of each scheme.

Please contact the housing team for more information

Retirement homes

You may not be eligible to register onto the councils housing register as you may be an owner occupier or have sufficient financial resources to resolve your own housing situation. You may wish to consider purchasing or renting a retirement home. For more details please go to:

Care and nursing homes

If you think you need very specialist or nursing care that cannot be provided in your own home, moving to a care home could be an option. Care homes sometimes provide nursing care too, so check what level of care is provided before you move. Care homes are staffed 24 hours a day and all meals are provided.

For some people moving to a care home may be the only appropriate option as they provide a safe place to live. Many care homes are geared to the needs of older people and provide support to those with a specific condition such as dementia so there may not be a suitable home in your local area.

How you pay for your care home depends on your personal financial situation. You may be eligible for health funding towards all or part of the care home fees if your health needs are within the criteria set for Continuing Health Care

For more information, including current care home vacancies:


0845 050 7666

Last reviewed: 20 - 04 - 2016

Was this page helpful?YesNo