Volunteers needed to help set councillors' allowances

Released on November 8, 2019

South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse district councils are looking for volunteers to join a joint panel to help set councillors’ allowances.

The Independent Remuneration Panel for councillors’ allowances consists of up to five members of the public who help determine how much money councillors from both councils receive for their time, while also giving value for money.

Previous panellists have included members of the police, business community, also a theatre manager, pilot and vet.

Successful candidates need to attend two or three meetings early in 2020 and would expect to be part of the panel until September 2023, although after the initial review of allowances, there is very little extra work. The role is voluntary, however travelling expenses can be paid.

Download an application pack here (301.0 KB) Word 97-2003

For more information, email paul.bateman@southandvale.gov.uk or call 01235 422523.

Notes to editors

About councillors’ allowances - councillors do not receive a salary for their work however they get an allowance and can claim travel, childcare and dependents’ care costs. The allowances paid reflect the level of responsibility taken on by individual members. Being the chair of council, or a member of the cabinet is almost a full-time job, which makes it very difficult for councillors to take on these roles and hold down a job or run their own business. Even councillors with no extra responsibilities have to juggle council duties and outside life. The allowance offsets the costs and loss of earnings incurred over and above those that can reasonably expected of a volunteer.