Community Governance Review
As a district council we are responsible for reviewing parish arrangements and implementing any appropriate changes to benefit the decision making and community management in the local area. Currently we undertake a community governance review every four years.
Reviews can consider:
- altering the existing boundary of a parish
- creating, merging or abolishing parishes
- changing the name of existing parishes
- the electoral arrangements for parishes (e.g. how many parish councillors are required and parish warding)
- grouping parishes under a common parish council, or de-grouping parishes.
- the “style” of a parish (enabling an area to be known as a town, community, neighbourhood or village rather than a parish).
What’s happened so far:
In November 2021 we contacted all parish councils across South Oxfordshire asking them to submit requests for matters to be considered as part of a Community Governance Review.
We then collated and presented the responses to our Community Governance and Electoral Issues Committee on 28 February 2022. The committee agreed to consider all requests submitted and formally adopted the Terms of Reference.
In April 2022 we then asked for your thoughts on proposals to alter the community governance arrangements in:
- Cuddesdon and Denton – remove the current parish warding arrangements.
- Henley-on-Thames/Bix – review of parish boundary at Swiss Farm Park Homes currently split between Henley parish and Bix parish
- Sonning Common – increase in the number of parish councillors from 12 to 15
- Thame (Great Haseley) – amending the boundary of the parish to include land up to North Weston, currently in Great Haseley, within Thame parish.
- Thame – review of the warding arrangements to provide electoral representational balance between the North and South wards.
- Wallingford (Brightwell-cum-Sotwell) – amending the boundary of the parish to include land at Site A, currently in Brightwell-cum-Sotwell, within Wallingford parish.
- Didcot – review of the number of councillors elected for each town council ward to reflect the number of electors they represent.
Following the conclusion of the consultation, the Committee met to review the responses on 25 May 2022.
What happens next?
We will consult on the final proposals during summer 2022.
Subject to any amendments, we will then adopt the final changes so they apply from the May 2023 elections.
Terms of reference and timetable
- CGR_A – Cuddesdon and Denton Parish Council request
- CGR_B – Henley and Bix site map
- CGR_C – Sonning Common Parish Council request
- CGR_D – Thame Town Council request (parish boundary)
- CGR_E – Thame Town Council request (parish warding)
- CGR_F – Wallingford Town Council request and Wallingford Town Council Site A location map
Hard copies can be viewed at the following libraries:
- Benson Library
- Berinsfield Library
- Chinnor Library
- Didcot Library
- Goring Library
- Henley Library
- Sonning Common Library
- Thame Library
- Wallingford Library
- Watlington Library
- Wheatley Library
- Woodcote Library
- Department for Communities and Local Government: Guidance on Community Governance Reviews
- Community Governance and Electoral Issues Committee
Please refer to our privacy statement regarding how your personal data is used for this consultation, available on the consultation page of our website. If you would like to know more about the council’s data protection registration or to find out about your personal data, please visit our website.