Reporting a workplace health and safety issue
If you see something in a workplace that you think is breaking health and safety law and is likely to cause serious harm, you can report it to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) or phone them on 0300 003 1647.
You may also find it useful to check what an employer should be doing to keep their workplace safe and healthy. You can do this by topic or industry on the HSE’s website.
The HSE is responsible for enforcing health and safety for most working activities and at many workplaces including:
- Construction (builders, building work, building sites, repair work and civil engineering projects)
- Factories and manufacturing
- Education establishments including schools, colleges and universities
- Municipal facilities including gas, electricity and water systems, waste management sites
- Hospitals and nursing homes
- Central and local government premises
As a council, we can enforce health and safety at other workplaces including:
- offices (except government offices)
- restaurants and cafes
- leisure premises
- nurseries and playgroups
- pubs and clubs
- sheltered accommodation and care homes
You can report your concern to us by completing an online form.
Before you fill in the form, it may be possible to put some health and safety problems right without contacting us. You could speak to:
- the person in charge of the work
- your employer
- your union or employee representative
Other health and safety concerns are enforced by the following: