Second home discount
A 50 per cent discount is available on properties which are occupied as a condition of employment.
To qualify for this discount, you must provide evidence that:
- you are liable for council tax for another property (such as a copy of a recent council tax demand)
- the property for which you wish to claim the discount has been provided for you by your employer
- your contract of employment requires you to live in that property.
Important – tell us about a change of circumstances
If you receive a discount or exemption, but experience a change in circumstances that may affect your entitlement, then you must let our council tax team know immediately – please complete our change of circumstances form.
- If you inform another council department, such as the elections team, rather than our council tax team, then this information cannot lawfully be shared with us and your change of circumstances will not dealt with.
- Telling the DWP, Pension Service or HM Revenue & Customs of a change does not mean that we will be notified of the change. You must tell us directly.
Failure to provide this information to us within 21 days is a criminal offence and could lead to prosecution or a financial penalty being imposed.