Support for Ukraine
We stand by the people of Ukraine in the face of the invasion by Russia and our thoughts are with everyone affected by this action. We are helping in any way we can, working with our local partners, including resettling refugees locally.
Homes for Ukraine scheme
The government’s Homes for Ukraine scheme offers a route to those who want to come to the UK who have someone here willing to provide them with a home. See the supporting government website.
It enables individuals, charities, community groups and businesses to volunteer accommodation and provide a route to safety for Ukrainians, and their immediate family members, forced to escape their homeland.
The government’s optional ‘thank you’ payment to sponsors has been increased from £350 to £550 per month from November 2022 until March 2023. It will be paid into bank accounts as a separate payment and will only apply when people host for more than half a full month. The increase will not be subject to tax and will not affect entitlement to any benefits.
From Friday 18 March, the visa application route opened for sponsors and named contacts to apply to the scheme.
The government has indicated it will provide further funding for local authorities to support this scheme, including sponsors, to help families rebuild their lives and fully integrate into communities.
Support for hosts and guests
Already, hundreds of people have applied to be hosts across the district and more applications are anticipated. Any host or guest who needs support and advice should contact our community support team either by email at email@example.com or directly on 01235 422600 via option one. Phonelines are open 8.30am -5pm Mon-Thurs and 8.30am – 4.30pm Fri.
Guidance for Ukrainian nationals
The UK government has produced the following guidance for people from Ukraine:
- Move to the UK if you’re from Ukraine – what you need to do before you travel to the UK and what to do after you arrive.
- UK visa support for Ukrainian nationals – the support available to Ukrainian nationals and their family members.
- Apply for a Ukraine Family Scheme visa – guidance for family members of British nationals, UK settled persons and certain others to come to or stay in the UK under the Ukraine Family Scheme
- Welcome: a guide for Ukrainians arriving in the UK – this guide also includes specific information for those arriving on the Homes for Ukraine scheme.
Making a donation
Many people in the county want to do whatever they can to help, and one way is to make a donation.
The best current route to donate and support is via the Disasters Emergencies Committee. The UK Government has said it will match fund up to £20m. DEC works with 15 charities including Oxfam, Christian Aid and Save the Children.
There are a number of other international charities you can support:
- The British Red Cross has launched a Ukraine Crisis Appeal to support the work of the Ukrainian Red Cross to fund food, water, first aid, medicines, warm clothes and shelter.
- The UNHCR refugee agency is collecting monetary donations for humanitarian assistance, emergency shelter and relief items like blankets. It will also fund psychological support for refugees.
- The UN’s children’s charity, UNICEF, is accepting donations to help ensure child health and protection services are sustained and families have clean water and food.
If you’re looking to donate to causes working in Ukraine and neighbouring countries, you should make a few simple checks before giving:
- Check the charity’s name and registration number at gov.uk/checkcharity
- Make sure the charity is genuine before giving any financial information
- Be careful when responding to emails or clicking on links within them
- Contact or find out more online about the charity that you’re seeking to donate to or work with to understand how they are spending their funds
- Look out for the Fundraising Badge on charity fundraising materials, this is the logo which shows that a charity has committed to fundraise in line with the Code of Fundraising Practice
If you are not able to find the answer to your query from these sources, please email our Community Hub via firstname.lastname@example.org and our team will do their best to help you.
You can also read our Homes for Ukraine privacy notice (PDF).