Planning applications FAQ

Planning Applications Frequently Asked Questions

Q.  How long will my application take?

A.  Following government set target dates we aim to determine `other- and `minor- category applications within 8 weeks and major category applications within 13 weeks. If you are interested in the Government definitions of  the category of applications  please see below.

Q.  How can I comment on an application?

A.  You can object or support a planning application using our online form, once the consultation period on the application has opened.  You'll find the link to the comments form in the application's information page.  Please also refer to our page 'commenting on planning applications'.

Q.  Will an officer visit the site?

A.  An officer will make a visit to each site for all applications.  Unfortunately, due to the number of applications we deal with it is not normally possible for a prior appointment to be made.

Q.  Will my application go to the Planning Committee?

A.  Most applications (90%) are dealt with under delegated powers and are not referred to the Planning Committee.   A District Councillor can request that an application is decided by Planning Committee if they make the request within 28 days of the application being registered with us.  They need to provide planning reasons to support their request. If you have strong views either supporting or opposing this application you may like to contact your district councillor.   You can find their contact details here on our website.

Q.  Should there be a site notice displayed?

A.  We will only display a site notice where the council has a statutory duty to advertise the application. These include all major developments and proposals affecting a listed building or a conservation area or their setting.

Some applications are advertised by the display of a site notice near the application site and some are also advertised in the local press (the Wallingford Herald, Didcot Herald, Henley Standard or Oxford Times).

Q.  When is the Planning Committee?

A.  A Planning Committee meeting is usually held every 4 weeks. 

Q.  Can I speak at Committee?

A.  The council encourages public speaking at Planning Committee meetings.  However, you must have commented in writing on the application during the consultation period and register to speak by midday the day before the meeting.

Q.  Who is consulted on an application?

A.  Depending on the individual application, we consult statutory consultees, such as the Highway Authority, Environment Agency, English Heritage, Town/Parish Councils and notify neighbouring properties adjoining the development site.  Sometimes, where neighbouring properties are not obvious, only be a site notice may be displayed.

Q.  What are the fees for applications?

A. Fees are set by the government.

There are no fees for Listed Building Consent. 

Q.  Can I have some application forms/or appeal forms?

A.  Download Planning application forms

Appeal forms (applicants only) GOV.UK This link will take you to an external website... - this will take you to the Planning Inspectorate website


Q.  What is a 'large scale major', 'small scale major','minor' and 'other' category of application?

A.  The Government definition is:

Large Scale Major

  • 200 or more dwellings or the site area for residential development is 4 hectares or more
  • 10,000 sqm or more, or the site is 2 hectares or more

Small Scale Major 

  • 10 to 199 dwellings or the site area for residential development is 0.5 hectares and less than 4 hectares
  • 1,000 sqm to 9,999 sqm, or the site area is 1 hectare and less than 2 hectares


  • less than 10 dwellings or the site area for residential development is less than 0.5 hectares
  • less than 1,000 sqm, or the site area is less than 1 hectare


  • Changes of use, householder development (development within the curtilage of a residential property), adverts, listed building consents, conservation area consents, lawful development certificates, agricultural notifications, telecommunications, etc.

Last reviewed: 03 - 04 - 2018

Was this page helpful?YesNo