Severe weather - advice

Update 4 February 2019

Waste collections

The snow last Friday (1 February) caused unsafe driving conditions for our waste trucks so we decided to cancel our waste collections  on that day. We will begin catching up on Monday 4 February. Unfortunately this will have a knock-on effect on collections for the rest of the week. 

Our advice is that if your bins aren't emptied on your scheduled collection day, please leave them out for three days from your scheduled collection day. 

Severe weather can affect you in several ways, such as flooding, snow or a loss of utilities. See below for more information.

Snow and ice

Play your part and help clear snow. Check on vulnerable neighbours. If you are concerned for them, call Oxfordshire County Council on 0845 0507666 8.30am - 5pm, or out of hours, the emergency duty team on 0800 833 408.

Waste collections

In the event of bad snow or ice, it may be too dangerous for our waste crews and lorries to complete their normal rounds. If we haven't managed to get back to you within three days of your original collection day, please bring your bins back in and we will come and get them next time they're due.

We will post regular updates about any disruptions on Twitter and Facebook. You can also call the Biffa call centre on 03000 610 610.

Gritting and school closures

Further information is available from the Oxfordshire County Council website:


Click here for advice if you are flooding

Visit the Oxfordshire flood tool kit for information about preparing for a flood

Loss of utilities


Check to make sure the issue isn’t just affecting your property. If your area experiences a power cut use a smart phone to check to see if the problem has been reported.  You can also call SSE on 105. 


if you smell gas, inside or outside a property, move to a safe place and then call the British Gas emergency line 0800 111 999 immediately


your water supplier has a duty to provide an alternative water source. Make sure you have a friend who can collect water for you if you are unable to. Visit or call 0800 316 9800.

Out of hours helpline

Our emergency helpline on 01235 422410 is available after office hours to report a noise nuisance, dangerous structure, flooding, a dead animal on the highway or a homeless issue.

Additional help

Better Housing Better Health is a one-stop health and housing advice service helping residents to keep their homes warm and themselves well.

If you have concerns for about a resident you can contact the service on 0800 107 0044 or

Priority Services Register - for vulnerable residents

We can’t promise your electricity will never go off, but if it does, your local network operator will do what they can to make sure you have the support you need, when you need it.

You can join the Priority Services Register if you are dependent on electricity, have children under 5, have a disability or communications needs or over 60 years old (none extortive list).

Registering for your free Priority Services is easy. You can join the register by: 

If you are concerned about a vulnerable resident call Oxfordshire County Council on 0345 0507666 (or out of hours - 0800 833 408).

Last reviewed: 04 - 02 - 2019

Was this page helpful?YesNo