Personal discounts

Please note - if you are seeking a council tax reduction due to being on low income, or because you're in receipt of housing benefit then you need to visit our Council Tax Reduction page.

To find out if a discount may apply to your home, count the number of adults living there.

The full bill assumes at least two adults live in a home, so if you count two or more people, you are not entitled to a discount. If you counted one person, we may reduce your bill by a 25 per cent.

When you count don't include people if any of the following applies to them:

  • People caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner or child under the age of 18
  • People who normally live in the property but are currently in prison (except those in prison for non-payment of Council Tax or a fine)
  • People who are severely mentally impaired
  • Full-time students (including Project 2000 nurses)
  • Apprentices or Training Credits Programme trainees
  • People who are under the age of 20 who have left school or college after 30 April (not counted until 1 November of that year)
  • Members of religious communities (monks and nuns)
  • People aged 18 for whom Child Benefit is still payable
  • Student nurses
  • People employed to provide care
  • People staying in certain hostels and night shelters
  • Members of visiting forces and certain international institutions
  • Diplomats, persons who have diplomatic immunity and certain members of their household

The above groups are stated in broad terms. Within each of the groups a number of conditions may need to be met they qualify. For further information, see application forms This link will take you to an external website... .

If you would like to paper copy of any form to complete please contact the council tax department.


Last reviewed: 21 - 08 - 2017

Was this page helpful?YesNo