Council Tax Reduction Scheme (CTRS)

Council Tax Benefit was abolished on 31 March 2013 and replaced by a local scheme called the Council Tax Reduction Scheme (CTRS). The council has decided to keep the CTRS as close to the old Council Tax Benefit scheme as possible. However the Council Tax Reduction Scheme is no longer a benefit, but is a discount on your Council Tax. There are  some differences between Council Tax Benefit and the new Council Tax Reduction Scheme. These include:-

• Changes in your circumstances must be reported within 21 days, rather than 1 calendar month.

• Appeals will not be to the First-tier Tribunal Service, but to the Valuation Tribunal for England. This may result in an appeal being heard by both Tribunals on the same dispute if you are in receipt of Housing Benefit along with a Council Tax Reduction.

• If you apply for Universal Credit via the Department for Work and Pensions, it will not be regarded as a claim for a Council tax Reduction. As it will contain most of the information the Council needs to calculate a Council Tax Reduction, you will be asked to sign a one page form from the Council stating you wish to claim a Council Tax Reduction also.

If you require further assistance, please contact the Benefits section.

To apply for Council Tax Reduction please complete an application form.

Notify us of changes

Last reviewed: 27 - 03 - 2020

Was this page helpful?YesNo