Brexit advice for EU Nationals

EU Settlement Scheme - Claiming Settled Status

Cllr Sue Cooper, Leader of South Oxfordshire District Council, has written this open letter to EU Nationals (77.3 KB) PDF  This link will take you to an external website... living in South Oxfordshire. 

The EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) is a registration process for EU nationals and their family members who wish to stay in the UK after the UK leaves the EU.

All EU nationals who do not have British citizenship will need to apply for settled status. 

If your application is successful, you’ll get either settled or pre-settled status. This means you’ll be able to:

  • work in the UK
  • use the NHS
  • enrol in education or continue studying
  • access public funds such as benefits and pensions, if you’re eligible for them
  • travel in and out of the UK.

Deadlines for applying

As it stands, residents will have until 31 December 2020 to apply to the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS). If there is a deal, residents will have until 30 June 2021 to apply.

What you will need to apply

To apply to the EUSS, residents will need a current valid EU, EEA or Swiss passport or a valid Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) for family members of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen.

Applicants need to scan their identity documents using a compatible Android phone or tablet and fill out an online application. This can be your own phone or tablet or someone else’s. 

It is free to apply to the scheme.

Verifying your identity

The Home Office have produced a short video to assist people applying for EU Settled Status:

Help with accessing a computer or Android device

If you have problems getting access to a computer or Android device to complete your application, you can drop into one of 16 libraries across the county, where you can make use of an Android device to scan your documents.  Once this is completed, you will be able to complete the application yourself on any device or computer.

For more information on support available from Oxfordshire Libraries and help with scanning documents at the Oxford Registry office visit their European Settlement Scheme pages.

Support available to claim EU settled status

Government guidance on EU Settlement Scheme

The Government has published a full guide to how the scheme works, which explains who needs to apply and takes you to the online application form. You do not have to apply if you are an Irish or British Citizen including dual citizens of these countries. The guide is available in 26 European languages

Home Office Assisted Digital Service

Residents needing either telephone or face to face support to complete the whole application can request this from the Home Office by contacting the Assisted Digital Service.

  • Phone: 03333 445 675
  • Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm
  • Saturday 9am to 4pm.

Link to the Government advice for EU nationals regarding access to social housing / homelessness assistance

Asylum Welcome - Europa Welcome Service

Asylum Welcome offers help to European nationals and their families living in Oxfordshire to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

Their Europa Welcome service is a free service available for those who are unable to make the application by themselves, for example because they struggle with technology, language barriers, health problems etc.

To make an appointment either

Europa welcome has a Twitter account - @WelcomeEuropa - where they announce outreach events and share legal updates.

Last reviewed: 08 - 11 - 2019

Was this page helpful?YesNo