Temporary event notices

Click here for the latest updates on any changes to our licensing service due to the COVID-19 coronavirus This link will take you to an external website...

If you are holding an event and want to sell alcohol, or put on entertainment, such as music, dancing or films, then you may need to submit a Temporary Event Notice (TEN). Temporary Event Notices (TENs) allow all premises including village halls, schools and clubs to hold events involving licensable activities such as the sale of alcohol and regulated entertainment. Please see our Applicant Guidance (96.4 KB) Word 2007 document for details on licensable activities, and if still unsure contact the licensing team for further advice.

While TENs are designed to be a 'light touch' form of licensing, there are strict guidelines as follows: 

  • Non personal licence holders may give a maximum of five TENs, of which a maximum of two may be a late TEN.
  • Personal licence holders may give a maximum of 50 TENs, of which a maximum of 10 may be a late TEN.
  • A premises may be the subject of a maximum of 15 TENs for no more than 21 days in total per calendar year. 
  • No more than 499 people may be involved in the licensable activity at any one time.
  • A maximum of 168 hours (seven days) may be licensed with a single TEN.  
  • There must be a minimum of a 24 hour period between TENs for the same premises.

Standard TENs must be submitted at least ten clear working days before the date of the event. Late TENs can be submitted between five and nine clear working days before the date of the event. Any TEN given less than five clear working days before the date of the event will be void and the activities to which it relates will not be authorised.

Where an objection is received in respect of a late TEN, the legislation does not provide for any modifications to be made and therefore, the licensable activities would simply not be permitted to take place. In view of this, we strongly recommend that TENs are given at the earliest opportunity and at least 10 clear working days before the date of the event. 

The statutory fee for a TEN is £21.  You can make payment by credit card or debit card and you can also pay by cheque. Cheques should be made payable to South Oxfordshire District Council.  

How to submit a temporary event notice

You can submit a TEN online here. If you submit your TEN online, you do not need to follow the additional steps listed below. Please ensure you follow this link only for premises based in the South Oxfordshire district.

Alternatively, you may submit by post or email by completing the Temporary Event Notice form (263.7 KB) PDF  and following the steps below:

  • Post two copies of the form and the fee of £21 to the licensing team (see Contact details for the address) and post one copy to Licensing, Thames Valley Police Headquarters (South), Kidlington, OX5 2NX; or
  • Email the form (with 'Temporary Event Notice' in the subject heading) to the licensing team (see Contact details for the email address) and copy this email to env.health@southandvale.gov.uk and licensing@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk - we will then contact you to take payment by phone. 

You will receive an acknowledgement of your submission, which you should retain for your records with a copy of the TEN. 

Last reviewed: 17 - 04 - 2020

Was this page helpful?YesNo