Driver licences

Click here for the latest on any changes to our licensing service due to COVID-19 and to find the link to our online application portal

We are unable to accept any new driver licence applications at this time. 

Guidance for renewal applications

Please do not apply more than 4 weeks before the expiry of your licence. Renewal applications will be prioritised by expiry date. We will do our best to process your application as quickly as possible but please bear in mind it may take longer than usual.

If you meet the following criteria, and have unlimited leave to remain in the UK, the licence will be granted for the usual 3 year period:

  • You are signed up to the DBS Update Service AND
  • You are able to send us a scan of the full DBS certificate AND
  • The council saw your original DBS certificate at the last application AND
  • The council has satisfactory proof of current right to work in the UK on your file from a previous application.

If you meet the above criteria but have limited leave to remain, subject to us being able to confirm any required checks with the Home Office, the licence will be granted as per their direction (usually 6 months).

Please note that we will only accept DBS disclosures countersigned by a local authority. If you are a renewal applicant with a DBS disclosure countersigned by anyone other than a local authority, we will discuss this with you when you make your application. 

For those not on the DBS Update Service, applications will be reviewed on a case by case basis to consider whether a temporary licence can be issued for 3 months. This will then be extended subject to a satisfactory DBS certificate being obtained.

How to apply

You will need to print off this application form (71.0 KB) Word 2007 and complete as normal, including signing and dating the form. Please take care to complete the application form in full. Any incomplete or illegible applications will be rejected and will not be processed.

You need to scan this application and upload to the online application portal with all of the usual supporting documents. If you are on the DBS Update Service, you need to include a scanned copy of your full DBS disclosure. If you do not have access to a scanner, you could try to photograph each page but please note it must be clear and legible or we will not be able to process it. Please contact us if you are unable to do this.

When we have a completed correct application and payment, we will process the application and issue the licence and badge. We will then post this licence out to you by first class recorded delivery (someone will need to be in to sign for this). You will not be able to collect the badge from the office. Please do not telephone the offices at this time, as this will only prevent us from processing applications.

Driver licences

For details of the requirements for drivers, please see our Joint Taxi Licensing Policy (795.1 KB) PDF

For appeals against penalty points issued on your hackney carriage/private hire driver licence, you will need to complete this appeal form (79.0 KB) Word 97-2003 . You can either complete and submit the form by email (you do not need to sign an appeal form sent by email) or you can post it to us (please sign any hard copy appeal forms). 


For more information about how COVID-19 may affect your medical please see here.

You need to book a DVLA Group 2 medical examination with your GP, or another GP at the practice where you are registered as they will need access to your medical records. Information on the requirements for the DVLA Group 2 medical can be found in the External links section of this page. A fee will be payable for the examination which should be paid directly to the doctor's surgery. You will need to print out the medical examination form (2.5 MB) PDF and take it with you to your appointment. Before leaving the appointment, please check the doctor has completed the entire form, including the front sheet, as we often have to reject medicals due to them being incomplete.

If you are over 45 years of age you will need a medical every 5 years, and if over 65 you will need an annual medical.

If you are an insulin dependent diabetic, you will need to have a full medical every year which also needs to be reviewed by an independent consultant in diabetes. Please see our guidance and declaration form (21.0 KB) Word 2007  to assist you with this process. 

Last reviewed: 03 - 08 - 2020

Was this page helpful?YesNo