Premises Licence Variations

Apply to vary a premises Licence

(please see below for minor variations)

You must apply to South Oxfordshire District Council licensing team if you wish to change the hours or licensable activities at the premises. You must submit the following documents with your application:

You will need to make ten copies of your completed application form. The original should be sent with the documents listed above and payment to the Licensing Team, South Oxfordshire District Council, (see address in Contact section of this page). You also need to send a copy to each of the responsible authorities. (50.3 KB) PDF

You must also advertise your application, both on the premises (109.0 KB) PDF and in the local newspaper (109.0 KB) PDF .

How to advertise on the premises

The notice must be advertised on the premises (109.0 KB) PDF for a period of no less than 28 consecutive days starting on the day after the day on which the application was given to the relevant licensing authority.

The notice must be A4 or larger, pale blue with black text printed legibly in black ink or typed in black, in a font size equal to or larger than 16 point. In all cases the notice must be displayed prominently at or on the premises to which the application relates where it can be conveniently read from the exterior of the premises.

The notice must contain a brief description of the proposed variation and include:

  • The name of the applicant
  • The postal address of the premises, if any, or if there is no postal address for the premises, a description of those premises sufficient to enable the location and extent of the premises to be identified.
  • The date by which an interested party or responsible authority may make representations to the relevant licensing authority (within 28 days of the application being received by the licensing authority starting on the day after the day on which the application was received by the licensing authority).
  • That representations shall be made in writing.
  • That it is an offence knowingly or recklessly to make a false statement in connection with an application and the maximum fine for which a person is liable on summary conviction for the offence is up to £5,000.

Advertising in the local newspaper

You must publish a notice (109.0 KB) PDF on at least one occasion during the period of ten working days starting on the day after the day on which the application was given to the licensing authority. The advertisement must contain the same information as posted on the premises.

Apply for a Minor Variation to a premises licence

Changes have been made to the Licensing Act 2003 so that there is now a procedure for making applications for minor variations to premises licences. The application for a Minor Variation (40.6 KB) Word 2007 should be sent to the council along with the current premises licence to the licensing team (see address in Contact section of this page).

An application may not be made for a minor variation so as to:

  • extend the licensable hours vary substantially the premises to which it relates
  • specify an individual as the designated premises supervisor
  • add the sale by retail of alcohol as an activity
  • authorise:

(i) the sale or retail of alcohol at any time between 11pm and 7am

(ii) an increase in the amount of time of any day during which alcohol may be sold by retail or supplied.


For minor variation applications the fee is £89.

How to advertise your application

You must display a notice of your application on the premises (108.9 KB) PDF but minor variations do not have to be advertised in a local newspaper.

The application for a minor variation must be advertised on a white notice at the premises, and the notice must comply with the requirements set out in Regulation 26A of the Licensing Act 2003 (Premises' Licences and Club Premises' Certificates) Regulations 2005 as amended. This requires that the notice be A4 or larger and contain basic details such as:

  • A brief description of the proposed variation
  • Name of the applicant
  • Address of premises
  • Date by which interested parties may make representations.


There is no need to copy the application for minor variations to the responsible authorities. However, the Licensing Unit will consult the relevant authority if they consider that there is any doubt about the effect on the licensing objectives. Interested parties such as local residents and businesses may make representations based on the licensing objectives. Representations do not trigger a hearing under the minor variations process.


The timescale set out in the Regulation for dealing with an application for a minor variation is fifteen working days. Day 1 is the 'initial day', i.e. the first working day after the day the Council receives the application. If the Council fails to determine the application within fifteen working days, the application is deemed refused, and the fee must be returned to the applicant.

The first ten working days of the fifteen working day period constitute a consultation period in which interested parties may make representations to the Council.

Determining Applications for Minor Variations

Licensing Officers will determine whether a proposed variation would impact adversely on any of the four licensing objectives. Licensing Officers have no power to impose conditions and only conditions volunteered by the applicant can be added to the Licence. Determination is therefore, either to grant or refuse an application.

Applications that have been rejected under the minor variations process can then be the subject of a full variation application. The previous refusal does not affect any subsequent variation application in respect of the same premises.

Last reviewed: 25 - 10 - 2018

Was this page helpful?YesNo