Data protection and you

The European Union (EU) has revised data protection requirements under the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). Our council is setting up provisions to ensure we comply with this.

In the meantime, UK Parliament is considering a White Paper which will become new data protection law in the UK. This is needed to ensure that regulation is in place when Britain leaves the EU.

We already have policies in place to ensure that we only use any personal data that you may give us for purposes for which you have provided it, in compliance with current data protection law.

By law, we must process your personal data fairly. This means that we:

  • only obtain it for purposes for which we are authorised
  • record it accurately
  • keep it up to date and make any amendments you request
  • do not keep it longer than necessary.

We will keep your personal data secure within our organisation but there are provisions in the Data Protection Act 1998 that enables us to disclose information in certain circumstances outside the organisation. We will only do this if the law permits us to do so and in accordance with our contracts with these organisations. This includes requirements to keep your data secure. Some personal data will appear on file records, which by law we are required to keep and make publicly available.

Data protection regulation requires every data controller who is processing personal information to register with the Information Commissioner's Office unless they are exempt.

The council has two registrations:

  • Data controller name: South Oxfordshire District Council Registration number: Z6629204
  • Data controller name: Electoral registration officer for South Oxfordshire District Council Registration number: Z6605488

To view our notification, please go to the register on the Information Commissioner's Office website This link will take you to an external website...  and enter the registration number which starts with Z.

Finding out about the data we hold on you

You are entitled to ask our council what personal data is kept about you. To do this, you can either:

  • complete our Subject Access Request (43.4 KB) PDF form.  You also need to pay a fee of £10 to enable us to undertake a search of our systems and records (the fee will no longer apply once GDPR is in place from 25 May.
  • email us
  • write to us at: FOI Officer, 135 Eastern Avenue, Milton Park, Milton, Oxfordshire, OX14 4SB

Any queries and requests about the council's handling of personal data should be sent to:

Data Protection Officer
South Oxfordshire District Council
(see details in the Contact section of this page)

Last reviewed: 24 - 05 - 2018

Was this page helpful?YesNo