The council cannot recycle soft plastics with other recycling in the green bin but they can be recycled at supermarkets.
Soft plastics include:
- Clear film used to wrap meat and fish
- Film from the tops of plastic trays
- Crisp packets
- Fruit, veg and salad bags
- Sweet wrappers
- Bread bags
- All plastic bags, except biodegradable or compostable bags
- Plastic pouches for pet food and baby food
Larger stores of major supermarkets:
- Breakfast cereal liners
- Bubble wrap
- Delivery bags
- Dry cleaning bags
- Frozen food bags
- Magazine and newspaper wrappers
- Multi-pack wrapping
- Toilet roll wrapping
Selected stores of major supermarkets also accept:
- Baby, pet food, detergent and cleaning pouches
- Biscuits and chocolate wrapping
- Cheese, fish and meat wrapping
- Cling film
- Crisp and sweet bags
- Plastic film lids
- Salad, pasta, and rice bags
Please take these to supermarkets who collect them for recycling.
The website Recycle Now now has a locator so you can find which supermarkets closest to you have collection bins for soft plastics
- All items should be clean and free of food.
- Tear off sticky labels where possible.
- Compostable and biodegradable bags are not designed to be recycled and if they enter the recycling system can potentially cause quality issues in the recycled material.