Our Litter Mapping Project
Could you take part in our survey?
We want to know more about the litter that community litter pickers collect so we can target the worst areas and keep them cleaner for longer. If you do litter picking then it would be great if you could help us. We have an easy-to-follow record sheet to document the location and type of litter. This will go into our litter mapping project. Or you can use our online survey while you are on the litter pick (details at the bottom of the page).
What you will need to take part
- A hi-viz jacket
- A litter picker and/or gloves
- A bag
- A record sheet (see below)
- A pen/pencil
- Mobile phone or watch (to keep track of how long you are out for)
Ideally each survey should take place over a one hour period (although this can be divided up into shorter times if done in the same week)
To find out how to borrow litter picking equipment from us, please visit our litter picking webpage.
Useful items to have with you:
- A map or GPS device
- A mobile phone (in case of emergencies)
- A camera/mobile phone
- A coat, hat and sunscreen – depending on the weather
- Always let someone know where you will be or do the survey with someone else.
- Stick to public land and stay away from busy roads with speed limits over 50mph.
- All children must be supervised.
- Cover any open cuts and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.
- Look out for sharp objects eg broken glass. If you come across any needles please leave them where they are and report their location to Biffa (number below)
- ·Do not try to lift or move any large items such as tyres or car parts. These should be left where they are and again report to Biffa.
You can download our full heath and safety guidance for litter picking below.
To contact our waste contractor Biffa please call 03000 610610.
When you have finished your litter pick
Please make sure that you send your information to us
You can use the digital questionnaire by clicking on the link below
Or send by post to
South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Council Waste Team, 135 Eastern Avenue, Milton Park, Abingdon, OX14 4SB
Any queries please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘Litter mapping Project’