Skip to content

Temporary road closures

Please be aware that we are unable to respond to phone calls to the temporary road closure phone number at this time. Please contact the temporary road closure team by email until further notice.

Please note that your event should comply with the Government COVID-19 legislation and guidance in place at the time of their event.
The guidance can be found using these links

How to apply for a temporary road closure for your event:

We can issue temporary road closure orders for parades and social events, such as fetes and street parties. 

Your application form and associated documents needed for use to process and permit a temporary road closure must be received by us at least 28 days before the date of the planned event. It may not be possible to process late applications. If you know you are going to hold an event later in the year you can submit your application earlier than the deadline – you don’t have to wait until nearer the time.

There are different application forms and guidance for the various events being planned:

You will need to send us a risk assessment with your application form – if you don’t have a risk assessment, you can download and complete our template.

If your event includes musical entertainment or the sale of food or drink, this will require a separate approval and licence – see our temporary event notice page for more detail.

Once you’ve completed the application form and have read all the conditions and the necessary paperwork, please send by email or post it to the contact details below.

Holding a sporting event or planning to do some roadworks?

You will need to contact Oxfordshire County Council for these events.

What happens when we receive your application form?

Once we receive a full application request, we will acknowledge we’ve received it and start a consultation with other statutory bodies such as Thames Valley Police and Oxfordshire County Council.

Once the consultation period has expired, and we’ve received no sustained objections, we will make the legal order to allow your temporary road closure and send you a copy.  We will also add it onto this website page.

If any objections are made, we will contact the person named on the application form, so that any issues are discussed and hopefully resolved.  

Contact us - Temporary road closures

01235 422551
(Text phone users add 18001 before dialing)

South Oxfordshire District Council
135 Eastern Avenue
Milton Park
OX14 4SB