Parking fines

If you receive an excess charge notice - known as an ECN or parking fine - you will have to pay a penalty of £50 or £70. This is reduced to £25 or £35 if it is paid within 14 days of the date it was issued.

Click here to pay your parking fine online

Alternatively, you can also pay by:

  • cheque or postal order: these should made payable to the South Oxfordshire District Council and sent to: Car Parks Team (see details in the contacts section of this page).
  • by telephone: ring our automated payment service on 01235 422422 to pay instantly by credit or debit card 24 hours a day.  Please ensure you have your excess charge number to hand when making a payment. If your notice number ends in an A, please substitute the A with the star key (*).

How to dispute the ECN

All disputes must be in writing, we are unable to help you over the telephone.

South Oxfordshire operates a two-stage process to consider disputes against ECNs. The council operates the car parks in exercise of their powers under Section 32, 33(4) and 35 of the Road Traffic Regulations Act 1984 and Part IV of Schedule 9 to the Act.

The cancellation of ECNs is the responsibility of the Head of Housing & Environment who can delegate this responsibility to the car park manager and the service manager. Please view this flow chart (80.6 KB) PDF for details.

ECNs are issued for:

  • non display of a valid ticket or permit
  • a ticket or permit that has expired or isn't valid (including tickets not valid if driver returns within no return period)
  • non display of a disabled badge
  • vehicle not parked within a bay
  • vehicle exceeds weight limit
  • other unauthorised parking or exceeding the maximum stay

We will not cancel an ECN:

  • if the driver parks in a car park without displaying a valid ticket or permit
  • if the driver uses the pay and display machine or or the Connect cashless service incorrectly
  • if the driver has not read or misreads the signs regarding the parking regulations or has failed to display a valid ticket for the free parking period
  • if a driver obtains a further ticket without having left the car park for the required no return period
  • if the vehicle is parked not wholly within a marked bay
  • if the driver is delayed for reasons beyond their control but more time should have allowed more time when initially obtaining their ticket eg: attending an interview or a meeting
  • if taken ill you are unable to provide medical evidence from a doctor or other medical professional
  • if you are a disabled badge holder who's badge is out of date or you have already had an ECN cancelled for non display of your badge in the previous calendar year.

If you feel your ECN has been issued for a reason other than the bullet points above, please put your dispute in writing to: Car parks team (see address in Contact section of this page) or email (including your full postal address) to 

Only if, due to disability or limited written English, you are unable to make your dispute in writing we will be able to help you on the telephone.

The relevant car park orders, which govern the rules and regulations in the car parks, can be found to the right of this page

On street parking is controlled by the County Council - for more details see this page of Oxfordshire County Council's website.

Last reviewed: 19 - 09 - 2019

Was this page helpful?YesNo