Local Plan - previous consultations
What has happened up to this stage?
The Council undertook a first Regulation 19 consultation period in late 2017. Thank you to all of those who took the time to respond. Responses to this consultation can be viewed . We will not send these comments on and ask people to review the latest version of the plan to see if they wish to submit representations to this version.
Full Council met in May 2018 to review the Local Plan and decided to follow Cabinet’s recommendations to reassess all available housing sites, as long as the extra time that this takes would not have a significant impact on the countywide Oxfordshire Housing and Growth Deal. View the and agenda and minutes from .
Council Leader’s statement - 19 July 2018
On 19 July, the council leader gave an update on the Local Plan as part of her speech to a Council Meeting. You can read her full statement to council here.
The council has reassessed each of the main housing sites proposed in the October 2017 version of the Plan, along with previously-considered locations that were dismissed but were ‘reasonable alternatives’ and some additional sites that were promoted to the council prior to the close of the Regulation19 publication stage of the Local Plan. This assessment has informed the sites now proposed in the Regulation 19 version of the Plan, published in January 2019.
The sites proposed are as follows:
Proposed sites: Culham, Oxford Brookes University Wheatley, Berinsfield, Chalgrove Airfield, Wick Farm, Lower Elsfield (Bayswater), Grenoble Road, Northfield;
Additional sites assessed: Palmers Riding Stables – Emmer Green Reading, Thornhill, Harrington, Reading Golf Club, Playhatch - Reading, Land off Thame Road - North Weston and Land South of Great Western Park
What has happened during the process for selecting these sites?
Since the first Regulation 19 stage of the Local Plan, the Council has:
- written to site promoters, developers and land owners for each of the above-mentioned sites requesting additional information to support an initial assessment of the sites
- written to stakeholders to request assistance in reviewing the delivery of the Local Plans strategic site allocations. In particular, the council sought information or comments on the potential for an alternative site or ‘reserve site’ to be included in the Plan, as well as the sites that have not been subject to the Local Plan consultation process previously
- completed an initial site assessment process
- corresponded with the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government and discussions are continuing
- updated partner authorities, who are part of the Oxfordshire Growth Board, and continue to work to the approach agreed by the Council to ensure we are in the best possible position to produce a ‘sound’ and robust Local Plan
- written an Initial letter to the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government
- received a letter from the Oxfordshire Growth Board, written to Councillor Jane Murphy, Leader of South Oxfordshire District Council to express its support for the reassessment of the strategic allocations
- written a response, from Cllr Jane Murphy, to the Oxfordshire Growth Board letter can be found
- written a from the Chief Executive, to the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government 16 July 2018
- received a to Council's letter dated 16 July 2018 from the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government 31 July 2018
We have carried out extensive consultation on our emerging Local Plan over the past three years and we would like to thank all of you who have already taken part. Your feedback has been taken into consideration and has helped to shape the Local Plan through the various stages to get us to the point that we are at now.
We have prepared a summary report for each consultation and you can view the original comments on our consultation portal by following the links below.
Details on our current publicity stage can be viewed here.
Publication Version (October 2017)
Second Preferred Options (March 2017)
Issues and scope
Last reviewed: 10 - 01 - 2019