Unauthorised building work

It is an offence to carry out notifiable building work without submitting a full plans or building notice application. This can lead to prosecution and will almost certainly create difficulties on sale of a property. The Regulations make provision for a Regularisation Application

Regularisation applications only apply to works that were started on or after 11 November 1985.

See downloads section of this page for a form to apply for a regularisation certificate and guidance notes.

This application should describe the extent of the unauthorised work and where possible include a plan of that work, together with any additional work intended to be carried out to secure compliance with the requirements of the regulations.

The relevant charge must be submitted with the application.

The council may ask for certain parts of the work to be opened up for inspection to check for compliance and may require alterations to be carried out before a Regularisation certificate can be issued.

If you are unclear whether unauthorised work has been carried out or not, please contact the Building Control Team for help

Last reviewed: 28 - 06 - 2016

Was this page helpful?YesNo