Information for candidates and election agents
Local Elections are scheduled to take place on Thursday 2 May 2019 for:
If you are interested in standing for election
You should read the following guidance and advice from The Electoral Commission:
- Guidance for Candidates and Agents - provides advice on the processes you will need to follow to stand for election. Contains link to Nomination Papers.
- Guidance for Candidates and Agents at Parish and Community Council elections - provides advice on the processes you will need to follow to stand for election. Contains link to Nomination Papers.
- - outlines what is, and what is not, acceptable behaviour at polling stations and in the community during the lead up to polling day.
To find out what is required from parish councillors, in terms of expectation and commitment, please contact the parish clerk - contact details can be found on our town and parish council pages.
Briefings for candidates and agents
The first of our two briefing sessions for candidates and agents covering the processes and requirements for nomination and the revised district ward and parish boundaries was held on Thursday 14 March. A copy of the presentation slides is available .
The next briefing, which will cover arrangements for polling day and the count will be held on Wednesday 17 April at 7pm in the Diamond Room at . This session is open to candidates and agents. To confirm your attendance at this session please .
Timetable for the local elections on Thursday 2 May 2019
Tuesday 26 March 2019
- Publication of Notice of Election
- Poll cards issued
Wednesday 3 April - 4pm
- Deadline for Receipt of Nominations
- Deadline for withdrawl of candidates
- Deadline for appointment of Election Agents
- Publication of Notice of Election Agents
Thursday 4 April - 4pm
- Publication of Statements of Persons Nominated
Friday 12 April
- Last date for voter registration
5pm on Monday 15 April
- Deadline for postal vote applications
Wednesday 24 April
- Publication of Notice of Poll
- Deadline for proxy vote applications (5pm)
Thursday 2 May
- Polls open - 7am to 10pm
- Verification and district count - from 10pm
Friday 3 May
- Parish count
The timetable is tight and, if you are relying on information coming to you in the post, you may miss a critical deadline.
Information will be added to our distribution list, so we will send it to you as soon as it becomes available. If you do not already have an email address, you are advised to set one up.
Last reviewed: 20 - 03 - 2019