Armed forces personnel

If you are leaving the Armed Forces, you will need to get advice as soon as possible. You can contact the Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) which aim to provide help with the transition from forces to civilian life.

You can also contact the council’s Housing Advice Team for a telephone housing options interview. This will need to be arranged once you have received your “Notice to vacate” (or 93 day notice). During this interview we'll request you to provide the following:

  • Copy of all notices to vacate service families accommodation
  • Full details of any ‘Lump Sum’ payments that you are due to receive upon leaving
  • ID for all family members and proof of child benefit
  • Immigration status proof for all family members.

The quickest option to secure alternative housing is through the private rented sector. Please follow this link to see the new government scheme which helps ex forces personnel access the sector:

These charities can help financially, practically and emotionally if needed:

Help for

Royal British

Joint Service Housing Advice Office

Floor 1 Zone 1
Montgomery House
Queen's Avenue
GU11 2JN

Advice line: 01252 787574

The Armed Forces Covenant

The armed forces covenant is a promise from the nation that those who serve or have served, and their families, are treated fairly.  Find out more on the website.

Last reviewed: 20 - 06 - 2016

Was this page helpful?YesNo