Dog bins and fouling

Dog hygiene bins

There are more than 300 dog hygiene bins in the district which are mostly provided by the town/parish councils. In addition to those this council supplies dog bins on its own public open spaces. The council arranges (through a contractor) for the emptying of all dog hygiene bins on behalf of the town and parish councils.

Reporting a full bin

If you would like to report a bin that has not been regularly emptied, please email the council's waste contractor Biffa, at or telephone the hotline on 03000 610610 quoting:

  • the road name where the bin is located
  • the bin reference number (which can be found on a sticker on the bin).

Alternatively, please contact commercial services using the online form below:

Dog owners

Please clean any area where your dog has fouled i.e. road, pavement or field and dispose of the waste in the nearest dog hygiene bin provided. You are committing an offence if you fail to clear up after your dog if it has fouled on a public highways including footpaths and bridleways.

Fines for dog fouling

In order to maintain our high standards of street cleanliness, PSCOs, acting on behalf of South Oxfordshire District Council, can now issue Fixed Penalty Notices (FPNs) of £50 to anyone over the age of 18 for allowing a dog to foul on a public highway but not picking it up. 

To report an offender please contact the Police on 101 and ask to speak to your local neighbourhood team.

Dog Fouling Signs

The placement and fitting of dog fouling signs is the responsibility of your town or parish council. To request a new or replacement sign please contact your local council.

Last reviewed: 09 - 08 - 2017

Was this page helpful?YesNo