The council provides a pest control service for residents (charges apply) at residential/domestic premises only.
How long does it take?
You can usually expect a visit within five days; however, there may be a delay during times of increased demand on this service.
A contractor provides this service for the council. After payment has been received, our contractor aims to contact the customer within the next 24 hrs to make an appointment.
The charges including VAT are:
- rats and mice: £30 (unless the premises keeps animals that are not classed as domestic pets - for example, chickens - where a charge of £51 will apply)
- wasp or hornet nest fumigation* (only up to guttering level of a two storey building): £51
- fleas: £96
- bedbugs: £85
* We do not offer a service to physically remove the wasp or hornet nests.
Treatment is free for residents receiving both full housing and full council tax benefits (unless the premises keeps animals that are not classified as domestic pets as above).
Please note we cannot refund payments once a booking has been made (unless the council has made an error). This is due to the fact the council has incurred costs directing our contractor to make arrangements/carry out pest treatments.
Unfortunately we can't deal with the following, please contact a local pest controller:
- bees (see below for information)
- wasp or hornets where the entry point is above the guttering level of a two storey building
Information on bees
If you believe you have a swarm of honey bees or need help with identification, please visit the website. The BBKA can also advise of a local bee keeper who may be able to attend your home and collect the bees from you.
Last reviewed: 04 - 12 - 2018