Drugs and alcohol misuse

The South and Vale Community Safety Partnership works closely with  public health and clinical commissioning group which is responsible for drug treatment services in Oxfordshire.  The team offers advice on drug and alcohol issues – please visit the Oxfordshire County Council drug and alcohol page or call 0845 050 7666

Help for young people

The Aquarius Service provides support for young perople under the age of 19 (or 25 in cases where it is appropriate) having problems with their own drug or alcohol use as well as those affected by someone else's substance use. The Aquarius Service is free and confidential and also available for families/carers. To find out more information visit www.aquarius.org.uk

Didcot Train  offers support for young people with problems related to drugs and other issues. You can call them on 01235 519315 or visit http://www.didcottrain.org.uk

Other sources of advice and information

National Drugs Helpline - for free, confidential information and advice 24 hours a day.

Telephone: 0800 776600

Website: http://www.talktofrank.com/ This link will take you to an external website...  

Alcohol Concern - the national agency on alcohol misuse

Website: www.alcoholconcern.org.uk

Alcoholics Anonymous

Telephone: 0845 7697 555

Website: http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk

Drinkline - a confidential helpline offering advice on alcohol related issues. Can offer help to people worried about their own drinking as well as support to the family and friends of people who are drinking.

Telephone: 0800 917 8282

Tackling alcohol related crime and disorder

Together with our licensing team and the police, we work with licensees in the district to help prevent and tackle alcohol related crime and disorder in our town centres.

South and Vale Nightsafe work with a number of partners to make South Oxfordshire a safer and more enjoyable place to go out at night.

A Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO) is a tool that local authorities can use to help deal with the problems of alcohol related anti-social behaviour in public places.

This order is not a total ban on drinking alcohol in public places. It just makes it an offence to carry on drinking alcohol when asked to stop by a constable or authorised officer. This allows them to deal with people who are behaving antisocially as a result of drinking alcohol.

If somebody fails to comply with an officer's request to stop drinking and surrender alcohol without reasonable excuse, penalties include:

  • A Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) of £100
  • Arrest and prosecution for a level 2 fine (max £500)
  • Bail conditions can stop the individual from drinking in public

In South Oxfordshire, the council has introduced PSPOs in Thame and Henley-on-Thames town centres.

Last reviewed: 21 - 05 - 2019

Was this page helpful?YesNo