Temporary road closures

What is a temporary road closure?

The council can organise road closure orders for parades and social events such as fetes.

Road closures for street parties have a different application form - click here to download (68.5 KB) Word 97-2003 .

How to apply for a temporary road closure?

All requests for temporary road closures must usually be submitted to our offices at least three weeks before the date of the planned event. If you know you are going to hold an event during the year you can submit your application as early as possible – you don’t have to wait until nearer the time.

If you are going to hold an event you can download and print the Social Event Form here (44.5 KB) Word 97-2003

All requests must be submitted in writing and sent by email TemRdClosure@southandvale.gov.uk

Or in writing to: Temporary Road Closures South (see details in Contacts section of this page)

When making an application please give details of:

  • what the event is
  • where it will take place
  • when it will take place, including the start and finish times  
  • a plan marked with the area to be closed or a detailed description so it can be easily identified
  • a contact name, address or email, and a daytime telephone or fax number
  • your public liability insurance details

If your event includes musical entertainment or the sale of food or drink, this will require a separate approval and licence – see our temporary event notice page for more detail.

How is an application dealt with?

Once we receive an application the request will be acknowledged, recorded and we will consult with the statutory bodies such as fire, police, Oxfordshire County Council as highway authority and the relevant town or parish council.

If any objections are made, these will be raised with the applicant so that they can be discussed and hopefully resolved.  

Once the consultation period has expired, and no objections have been sustained, we will inform you we will make the legal order and informing you of any conditions for compliance.

Last reviewed: 26 - 04 - 2016

Was this page helpful?YesNo