Street Trading

If you wish to apply for a street trading consent, please read the street trading policy (399.9 KB) PDF which came into effect on 1st October 2014.

In the first instance, please contact the licensing team for an informal discussion on the process for making an application. Please also read the application form and guidance notes (428.2 KB) PDF (174.9 KB) PDF for clarification on what permissions and supporting documents you will be required to present when making a formal application. 

Important information on trading on the highway (street trading)

You are advised that the rules for trading in the district may be different to those followed in the towns of our neighbouring authorities.

General rules

Under traffic and parking regulations, no trading of a fixed nature is allowed on the highway including lay-bys and grass verges. If an obstruction or traffic problem is caused then the Highway Authority have the power to take immediate action. If no such problem is considered to exist, they may leave enforcement action to the relevant district council.

Local rules

  • In South Oxfordshire street trading is an offence without a street trading consent from the council. 
  • Trading on private land requires the written permission of the landowner.

Mobile food catering

The council often receive enquiries from people who wish to set up a mobile catering business and need to know more about the logistics of doing this within South Oxfordshire.

The following information serves as a guideline: 

Food Safety Act

As a food business, you are required to register with the council where food is stored and the council where you propose to operate.

You are also required to operate your business in accordance with current legislation and will be subject to periodic inspection by your local district council.


Last reviewed: 29 - 10 - 2018

Was this page helpful?YesNo