Camp sites

Information regarding camp site licensing

If you want to run a camp site solely for camping with tents, for more than 42 consecutive days, or more than 60 days in any 12 consecutive months, you will need to apply to the council for a licence*.  There are some instances when you don't need a licence. See more details on exemptions below.

*Under the Public Health Act 1936 This link will take you to an external website... section 269

Please note: Sites owned by the same person within one hundred yards of each other are considered as one site when calculating the number of days used per year.

There are conditions attached to the licence you will need to achieve, which aim to make sure you reach the appropriate safety and amenity standards for your camp site.  We will need to carry out a site visit to check the facilities of the proposed site. Please note we may amend these conditions to suit individual circumstances.

Planning permission

Campsites may also need planning permission to operate; it is your responsibility to ensure you have the correct permission and entitlement to operate a campsite.  Go to the planning section for more information.

Application charges

There is no charge for applying for a campsite licence.

You can download an application form for a licence from the link below and when you have completed it return to the Environmental Health. 

Exemptions - when you do not need a licence

A site licence is not required for:

  • tents kept by their owner on their own land, where the use is incidental to their dwelling house, and used only by the occupier and their family (e.g. a tent pitched  in a domestic garden for private use by the owners)
  • tents on agricultural land for use by seasonal agriculture workers
  • tents kept by their owner on the owner-s premises but not used for human habitation.

View a full copy of the legislation This link will take you to an external website... detailing camp site exemptions.


We aim to process applications within one month.  If you have not heard from the council within that time the licence is deemed to have been granted.

Renewal of licences

Depending on the status of the site's planning permission a licence will be granted either permanently or for a fixed period.  If the licence is for a fixed period the expiry date will be stated on the licence.

It is the applicant's responsibility to apply and ensure that the necessary planning permission is in place before an application for renewal of a licence is submitted.

Appeals and complaints

If you have concerns about how your application is handled the first point of contact will be the case officer dealing with your application.  If you are still not satisfied you can lodge a complaint with their line manager.  If you are dissatisfied with a condition attached to your licence you have the right of appeal to a magistrates court This link will take you to an external website... within 28 days. 

Other considerations

The following matters are not directly taken into account when considering applications, but you are strongly encouraged to ensure that you have taken account of these issues before applying for a licence (this list is not intended to be exhaustive or comprehensive):

  • How will you dispose of waste?  Business owners have a legal duty to safely manage, store and dispose of any waste generated as a result of their business.  You will need to engage a  commercial waste contractor to dispose of any waste generated by your business.
  • The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (fire safety order), requires responsible persons of all non domestic premises to undertake and implement a fire safety risk assessment of their premises.  For more information on this you can contact the fire service.  For mobile home sites this means that fire safety issues relating to mobile homes and plots (domestic premises) are dealt with under the licence conditions and issues on the site generally are dealt with under the fire safety order.
  • The health and safety of your staff and visitors to your site.  You can obtain more information on this from the Health and Safety Executive website Health and Safety Executive This link will take you to an external website... .

Contact us

If you have an enquiry about a licence you can contact Environmental Health.

Last reviewed: 12 - 02 - 2013

Was this page helpful?YesNo