Health and safety
The council aims to protect and improve the health, safety and welfare of workers, businesses and the public in South Oxfordshire by regularly inspecting premises to advise on, and monitor compliance with health and safety legislation.
The enforcement of health and safety is split between the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and the council. The HSE deals with issues of a specialist nature, whereas we cover the smaller service and retail businesses.
Some of our activities include:
- carrying out health and safety inspections
- investigating accidents at work and recommending actions to prevent reoccurrence
- investigating and resolving complaints relating to workplace conditions and health and safety
- raising awareness of health and safety legislation and best practice to employers and employees
- providing health and safety advice and training to businesses and workers.
How to report a health and safety problem, including an accident at work
If you have a complaint about any workplace, whether as an employee or a member of the public, you can discuss it with the food and safety team using our online form or see contacts section of this page.
If it relates to a matter that is covered by health and safety law we'll decide if it needs to be investigated.
Last reviewed: 18 - 01 - 2018