Boost for play areas thanks to £423,000 council grants
Five play areas are set to receive a facelift as part of a £423,000 boost for community facilities across South Oxfordshire.
South Oxfordshire District Council has awarded grants to 13 projects to benefit local residents with play areas in Benson, Berinsfield, Hagbourne, Long Wittenham and Little Milton all receiving funding.
Grants have also been awarded for a replacement pavilion in Ewelme and £170,000 needed to carry out a much-needed roof replacement at Wallingford Corn Exchange.
Funding will also help pay for replacement facilities at clubs and village halls in Lewknor, Benson, Peppard Stoke Row, Sandford on Thames, Wallingford and Watlington.
The full awards were:
- Benson Parish Council - £6,050 for play area improvements
- Berinsfield Parish Council - £33,922 for play area improvements
- Corn Exchange Wallingford Ltd and Sinodun Players - £170,000 towards a replacement roof and heating system
- Ewelme Parish Council - £75,000 for the rebuilding of Ewelme Pavilion
- Hagbourne Village Hall - £10,000 for village hall play area improvements
- Lewknor Village Hall - £4,585 for replacement doors
- Long Wittenham Parish Council - £7,291 for play area improvements
- Little Milton Parish Council - £50,000 for play area improvements
- Millstream Day Centre (Benson) - £17,590 for a replacement kitchen
- Peppard Stoke Row Cricket Club - £2,765 for a replacement cricket roller
- Sandford on Thames Village Hall - £1,799 for a storage shed
- The Watlington Club - £19,453 – for replacement squash court flooring, fire doors and lawn aerator
- Wallingford Rowing Club - £24,882 – for replacement boat launching platforms
Cllr Elizabeth Gillespie, Cabinet Member for Grants at South Oxfordshire District Council, said: “This funding achieves our goals to make a real difference in our communities across South Oxfordshire, helping ensure existing facilities are upgraded and that new ones become available for residents to use.”
“The next round of grant funding is now open for applications - we’ve still got more than £105,000 available so I urge groups with a project that will benefit the local community to contact our grants team on 01235 422644.”
Community groups have until 6 September to apply for a minimum of £1,000 – for more information visit southoxon.gov.uk/grants.
For guidance on the grants and help on the application process make sure you sign up for the Grants Workshop. This event takes place between 4pm and 6pm on Monday 31 July at the district council offices at 135 Eastern Avenue, Milton Park, Milton, OX14 4SB. To book a place please call 01235 422644 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.