Temporary road closures

Please be aware that we are unable to respond to phone calls to the temporary road closure phone number at this time. Please contact the temporary road closure team by email until further notice.

Upcoming Road Closures

Please find a list of upcoming road closures below. If you would like further information regarding an upcoming road closure then please email the temporary road closure team using the contact details at the side of the page.

Please see upcoming road closures due to social events below

     Date                     Name    Parish            Time                                                          Roads closed
No events planned

What is a temporary road closure?

The district council can organise road closure orders for parades and social events such as fetes. Social event application form (144.3 KB) Word 2007

Road closures for street parties have a different application form – please see the form for the definition of a street party. Street party application form  (145.6 KB) Word 2007

Road closures for sporting events are dealt with by Oxfordshire County Council Oxfordshire County Council This link will take you to an external website...  

Road closures for road works are dealt with by Oxfordshire County Council (roads)   Oxfordshire County Council This link will take you to an external website...

How to apply for a temporary road closure?

All requests for temporary road closures must be submitted to our offices at least 28 days before the date of the planned event. If you know you are going to hold an event during the year you can submit your application as early as possible – you don’t have to wait until nearer the time, however we cannot process incomplete applications or applications submitted on an out of date form.

All requests must be submitted in writing and can be sent by email to TemRdClosure@southandvale.gov.uk

Or by post to: Temporary Road Closures South (see details in Contacts section of this page)

When making an application please give details of:

  • what the event is
  • where it will take place
  • when it will take place, including the start and finish times
  • a plan clearly marked with the area to be closed and the position of the road closure signs to be erected
  •  a detailed description so it can be easily identified
  • a contact name, address or email, and a daytime telephone or fax number
  • a copy of your public liability insurance for a minimum of £10m
  • Your Risk Assessment (20.9 KB) Word 2007 for the event 

If your event includes musical entertainment or the sale of food or drink, this will require a separate approval and licence – see our temporary event notice page for more detail.

How is an application dealt with?

Once we receive an application the request will be acknowledged, recorded and we will consult with the statutory bodies: Thames Valley Police and Oxfordshire County Council as highway authority.

If any objections or concerns are made, these will be raised with the applicant so that they can be discussed and hopefully resolved.  

Once the consultation period has expired, and no objections have been sustained, we will make the legal order and let you have a copy.

Contact details

Temporary Road Closures


South Oxfordshire District Council

135 Eastern Avenue

Milton Park


OX14 4SB

Last reviewed: 06 - 08 - 2020

Was this page helpful?YesNo