Temporary Use Notice

A Temporary Use Notice (TUN) allows the use of premises for gambling where there is no premises licence but where a gambling operator may want to use the premises temporarily for providing facilities for gambling. This may include hotels, conference centres and sporting venues.

The council can only grant a TUN to a person or company that holds an operating licence issued by the Gambling Commission and restricts gambling to the provision of facilities for equal chance gaming, where the gaming is intended to produce a single winner, for example a poker tournament.

There is a limit to how many temporary use days can be applied for in a 12 month period. More than one TUN can be made for a premises, but the total number of days combined cannot exceed 21.

Applying for a Temporary Use Notice

Please complete the application form (41.0 KB) PDF and return, along with the correct fee (17.4 KB) PDF to the Licensing Team (see contacts section of this page for address). The form includes details of the information you need to include with your application.

If you have any queries about completing your application, contact the Licensing Team.

Considering your application

You must submit your notice at least three months prior to the event.

You must also give a copy of the notice to the Police, the Gambling Commission and HM Revenue and Customs - please see the list of Responsible Authorities (68.9 KB) PDF for contact details.

The gambling activities must fall within the activities which the operator is authorised to provide under their operating licence.

Duration of the notice

A temporary use notice cannot exceed more than 21 days in any 12 month period.

Last reviewed: 28 - 06 - 2016

Was this page helpful?YesNo